Wednesday 6 February 2013

WOYWW #192

Wednesday again - already?!?! Apart from being a time when I really do need to get tidied up here, and mend this blinkin' "T" button on my keyboard, it's also time for "What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday" hosted (as nearly always) by the super-bloggity-linky-dink Julia at The Stamping Ground.
So... here is my desk... and there's somehing really special on there today...
I've just about finished the clock and album I've been working on, and decided that it was about time I made a start on a box with a hinged lid and a clasp. There won't be an album for this box... it's for the 'something special'.  Take a peek over to the right of the photo. Here's a little close-up of what it is... a stack of letters...
Okay, so it's not special to anyone else but my family - and here's why:
My Hubby's Mum and Dad separated and divorced when he was a teenager, his Dad (Ron) never remarried and seemed very happy living his eccentric and slightly odd-ball life. A few years ago, Ron passed away unexpectedly and it was left mainly to Hubby and myself to clear Dad's house. We had gone through most things - finding paintings and poetry he had created and Christmas cards he had saved for more than 60 years! I did mention eccentric, right? Well, someone had told Dad that instead of insulation in his loft, he could use binbags filled with empty plasic milk cartons - apparently they'd work just as well (no, I really don't know if this actually worked! *lol*). Hubby was voted by me to go into the loft space and clear out all these bags and cartons. It was there that he found a box... safely and carefully packaged. When we opened it, inside were these letters.
Hubby's Mum (Mary), as a teenage young woman, wanted a penfriend to write to and had asked a driver whom she worked with (in Essex) if he knew of anyone who might be interested. He did... and passed on Mary's details to a young man living in Battersea named Ron. This is how Hubby's parents met and married. The letters we found are from the very first exchange, right up to when they bought some land and built a house, married and then finally moved in together. The letters are so wonderful - Mum said I was more than welcome to keep them and read them when I asked her. It amazes me as I read through them, that if not for a simple message of "Would you like to write to me?" my wonderful Hubby wouldn't even exist!

I've rambled on enough... time for me to have a peek at some other people's workdesks now.
Oh, before I toddle off... here's a WUYWW - the "U" is for "Under"... couldn't resist this one - she's such a spoilt little Baby!

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

19 comments:

Sandy said...

How wonderful to find all the letters and to make something lovely to keep them in is a fabulous idea.. Its a lost art now isn't it and not something many people do now. So to keep them safe and to not be thrown will be a treasure to keep. lol at the WUYWW looks very snuggly with the blanket.
Sandy :) #10

Belinda Basson said...

What an incredible find! That is something so special to keep and remember the good times. #36

Ann B said...

What a lovely find, romantic but sad at the same time. Good idea to keep them safe and make a special box.
Ann B
40

Queenie Jeannie said...

Who doesn't love a romantic love story??? And yours is awesomesauce!!!! Your box is just perfect to hold these treasured letters!

Your furbaby is just wondeful too. She looks quite content UNDER your desk!!!!

Helen said...

What a lovely thing to find and more importantly, keep. How romantic. Happy WOYWW, Helen 14

Heathers Inspiration said...

Such a Wonderful story, Lovely that they have been kept safe and treasured for now and the future :) Loved reading your blog and great project on the go with the treasure chest x
Happy WOYWW Heather # 70

Andrea said...

what a wonderful story and remarkable find. I now know why the box will be so special. What's a wonderful find to pass on through the generations . Thanks for sharing it with us and have a wonderful week Andrea#77

ria gall said...

OMG you have all the little hairs on my arms standing up, how totally amazing that all these lovely letters were kept like this. These must be so special to both you and your husband.
Happy WOYWW #192
Ria #75

Unknown said...

Great find, I love old family pics and letters.
Happy WOYWW!
Barbara #97
Don't miss my collage GIVEAWAY.
www.365waysofmemories.blogspot.de

Julia Dunnit said...

Look at that, treasure amongst the milk cartons...I winder if that worked!! Wonderful to have those letters, they obviously meant a great deal to Ron for him to have saved them, enjoy them, even as a social history they are pretty priceless!

shazsilverwolf said...

What a fabulous, romantic story. When I spotted the envelopes, I thought, wow, I remember using those stamps, lol. Love your little puss-cat- hugs from me. I'd have voted hubby to go to the loft too- all those spiders! ick! Have a great week, Hugs,xx Shaz #74

Sian said...

What a fabulous story! It's just the knid of thing we've been collecting on the Storytelling Sunday "Pick your Precious" series. You'd be more than welcome to link it up there. It's the kind of precious we all love!

MaryH said...

Loved the special box...it looks awfully pretty. And what a marvelously romantic story. So enjoyed reading it. Isn't life sometimes strange & wonderful? I'm glad your Mum allowed you to keep the wonderful piece of her past. These are such glowing memories and I'm sure your Hubby was delighted to read his parents' romance. TFS

Lori said...

Such a sweet story about the letters.

Adore your kitty too.

Hope you get a chance to check out my blog and desk.
Have a great day.
Lori #110

misteejay said...

What a super find so the box will be a perfect container for those letters.

That is one cute comfy kitty.

Toni xx

Ali H said...

What a wonderful story - really enjoyed hearing all about it & so glad you shared it with us ! Family treasures ! Ali #43

Craftychris said...

What a wonderful story and so lovely to keep the letters in a gorgeous box. Gorgeous kitty cat too! Have a fab week xx #125

Tamika said...

That's a beautiful love story.

Elizabeth said...

Such a wonderful story and amazing that the letters have survived all those years. Your cat looks very comfortable tucked up in her basket. Mine sleeps peacefully under my chair, only emerging occasionally for a comfort/food break :) Now, should I get her a cushion!!! Elizabeth xx (not WOYWWing this week but just had to visit)