Sunday, 17 January 2010

Eight hours!

I've just spent over eight hours making a layout for a competiton entry... but I so enjoyed it!
For a change, I decided to write down everything I did, and everything I used...
Starting off with Karen Foster Design paper named Diamond Antiquity. I cut off the patterned border and distressed the edges of the remaining paper with a craft knife, followed by a good rubbing with an old nail file for added age effect and to dull the colours.

After inking the edges with a burgundy ink pad, I placed this centre onto a new border - 12x12 K&Co BW Madeline Pink Textiles (though I cut out the middle and saved it ... seemed such a waste otherwise *lol*) More inking around the edges, after a quick corner trim with a shaped edge punch. I also used a glitter chalk to push the inked edges around a bit, blend them... and also the chalk toned down the harshness of the red tone. I repeated the corner punch, ink and chalking to the edges of the photograph I chose. The photograph was also embellished with a clear sticker from the Making Memories de:fined "remember" selection. Before attaching the photo to the layout, I decided that the paper was just too plain for my liking, so out came La Blanche "Emblems and Scrolls" stamp and the burgundy ink. I stamped around the edges, after matting off the border paper. The ink colour wasn't quite right, and I also needed to add and alter the stamped image, so I used a Papermania metallic brush marker to colour in the image and draw a few extras too. I punched out some hearts from the saved paper (and also a bit of extra paper cut from the layout where the photograph would hide the hole it left). I used Craft Creatives mini heart punch from a set of 3. These hearts were chalked and placed on the edges of the layout and the photograph, mirroring the punched pattern edge I had done earlier. Using a leftover scrap of Creative Imaginations Sonnets "Love Sonnet" paper, I cut out the word "LOVE" and stamped it using the burgundy ink and swirl stamp already used previously. Next, I chose a Laura Ashley ribbon from the "Love Song" collection, and tied it in a bow to add a little flourish. I sewed this onto the layout, going through the photograph also to help attach all items. The photograph was also glued at the edges. The flowers are PaperMania. The cherub button is from Craft Time, Dress It Up "Nostalgic Treasures" button collection. I didn't have the photgraph holders and brads in the colours I wanted, so I chose white ones I already had and then inked them. I then dipped them in gold Ultra Detail embossing powder (opaque). I used the heat gun, and purposefully heated the brads too much to give an almost burnished effect with the red hue of the ink showing through. A little extra stitching on the edge of the photograph and I felt it was about finished. The urge to use a LOT more embellishments and really go overboard was so tempting... but I resisted :)

No comments: