Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Mixing it up...

I wanted to see if I could successfully mix my usual style of grungy/distressed/psuedo-vintage, with something different... cartoon characters. I had the perfect picture of my middle daughter Katie when she was just a little-ickle girl on an outing in Lymington with her Daddy. She had on Disney trousers with Mickey Mouse on them - but he was dressed in oranges rather than his usual red trousers. So, I used the trousers she wore that day and based everything within the layout on those. I chose some papers that, although they didn't quite go together themselves, seem to blend nicely with what I hoped to achieve. The papers are: Core'dinations (colour stack, orange), Imagination Project Gin-X 'Pyramid Jacket' (from the Desperately Seeking Summer collection), and K&Co 'Daffodil Plaid'. I used a small flower punch and a medium butterfly punch as well as a 'round the edges' border punch for decoration. The Pluto and Mickey characters are made by me - just drawn, coloured and then glazed (glazed with childrens craft glaze). As usual, I had to do some handstitching - round the heart and also to highlight Katie's dirty shoes. I decided to do a 'XOXOX' pattern a little on he edges of the paper too. My Ranger Inks in Peeled Paint and Dried Marigold came in handy for bringing a lot of the mismatched colours in the papers together. All in all, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

No comments: